About the Author
Capt. H. SUBRAMANIAM
F.R.Met.S., M.R.I.N., F.N.I., F.C.M.M.I., M.I.Mar.Tech., M.I.Met.S., Extra Master (UK)
Capt. Subramaniam was born in 1942 in Ootacamund, in the Nilagiri Hills of South India. He was educated in the Lawrence School, Lovedale, one of the best schools in India, which was run on military and British Public School lines.
After pre-sea training on the training ship ‘Dufferin’, he has about ten years’ sea service, including Command of merchant ships.
He has over 34 years of teaching experience in maritime training institutes of the government of India which include about 12 years as head – Command of training ship ‘Rajendra’, Command of training ship ‘Chanakya’ and Principal of the ‘LBS College of Advanced Maritime Training & Research’.
After retiring from government service in September 2002, he sailed in Command of a merchant ship from India to the UK/continent and back to prove to himself that he is not merely a teaching Ship-master but can ‘practice what he preaches’! He then served as General Manager Training with Eurasia (now named Bernard Schulte Ship Management) for about 5 years, and Maritime Training Consultant with Executive Shipmanagement (Singapore) for about 2 years.
He is ‘Marine Examinations Adviser’ with Marshall Islands Ship Registry for over 5 years and is a visiting faculty member at a chosen few maritime training institutions.
- The highest qualification in the marine profession – Extra Master (UK).
- Served as an assessor in a formal investigation into a collision between two ships.
- The Chief Examiner of Extra Masters of India for two years.
- Leader of the Indian delegation to the IMO on two occasions.
- Author of eight textbooks on a variety of subjects on the operation of merchant ships.
- Given ‘Man of the year Award’ in 2001 by Sailor Today magazine for his ‘Conception and implementation of INDos’ (Indian National Database of Seafarers).
- Given the ‘Lifetime Achievement Award’ in 2002 by Marine World magazine.
- Given the ‘Literary Distinction Award’ by Marex Bulletin in 2006.
- Given the ‘Lifetime contribution to Maritime Training Award‘ by GlobalMet in 2007.
- Given the ‘Individual Innovation Award 2007’ by Sailor Today Magazine for the manner in which he conducted India’s first Maritime Quiz for Seafarers.
- Given the ‘Outstanding contribution to Maritime Education & Training Award‘ by the Govt. of Indian National Maritime Day 2013.
- Given the ‘Outstanding contribution & Yeoman Service to the Maritime Industry Award’ by FOSMA (Foreign Owners Representatives & Ship Managers Association) in 2014.
- Master (Chairman) of the Company of Master Mariners of India for two years.
- Chairman of the Nautical Institute, India (West) Branch for five years.